Sophia Amoruso is the CEO of the #GirlBoss media company and the author of the book #GirlBoss. It is a memoir-like business advice book which inspired many young female entrepreneurs. In her book, she writes about her hardship and success. Amoruso has got a unique style, she is funny, entertaining, sassy, sarcastic, and incredibly smart at the same time.
At age 23, she started her online business in a tiny San Francisco apartment stacked with killer vintage, a single laptop, and an eBay account. Today, her brand NastyGal carries new clothing, shoes and accessories under their label (and a few others), all for gals who’ve got the confidence to just be themselves.
Amoruso’s NastyGal, a women’s fashion retailer, went on to be named one of “the fastest growing companies” by Inc. Magazine in 2012. Within a decade the online fashion retailer was doing $300 million in annual revenue. Amoruso had an estimated net worth of $280 million, enough to earn her a spot on Forbes’ list of the Richest Self-Made Women, where she was one of the youngest members.
Amoruso stepped down from NastyGal in January 2015, distancing herself to focus instead on her #Girlboss media platform.
In November 2016, without its original chief executive, the Los Angeles-based apparel brand filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. In February 2017, online retailer Boohoo.com bought Nasty Gal for $20 million.
After the bankruptcy and a divorce, Amoruso started her new business, a community, and media company for women that focus on redefining success called #Girlboss. The #Girlboss hosted the first rally in March and had a foundation that has awarded more than $100,000 in grants to women working in design, fashion, music, and the arts. Her being a voracious learner, an avid reader and a (hyper)critical thinker with killer business gumption make Amoruso one of the most interesting and inspiring self-made woman entrepreneurs.
Top 25 Most Inspiring Sophia Amoruso Quotes:
1. “The only way to support a revolution is to make your own.” – Sophia Amoruso
2. “Abandon anything about your life and habits that might be holding you back. Learn to create your own opportunities. Know that there is no finish line; fortune favors action. Race balls-out toward the extraordinary life that you’ve always dreamed of, or still haven’t had time to dream up. And prepare to have a hell of a lot of fun along the way.” – Sophia Amoruso
3. “You don’t get taken seriously by asking someone to take you seriously. You’ve got to show up and own it. If this is a man’s world, who cares? I’m still really glad to be a girl in it.” – Sophia Amoruso
4. “A #GIRLBOSS is someone who’s in charge of her own life. She gets what she wants because she works for it.” – Sophia Amoruso
5. “No matter where you are in life, you’ll save a lot of time by not worrying too much about what other people think about you. The earlier in your life that you can learn that, the easier the rest of it will be.” – Sophia Amoruso
6. “The energy you’ll expend focusing on someone else’s life is better spent working on your own. Just be your own idol.” – Sophia Amoruso
7. “If you’re frustrated because you’re not getting what you want, stop for a second: Have you actually flat-out asked for it?” – Sophia Amoruso
8. “You want to know what four words I probably hate the most? That’s not my job.” – Sophia Amoruso
9. “You can’t expect the world to read your mind. You have to put it out there, and sometimes putting it out there is as simple as just saying, “Hey, can I have that?” – Sophia Amoruso
10. “In whatever you do, you’re not going to stand out unless you think big and have ideas that are truly original. That comes from tapping into your own creativity, not obsessing over what everyone else is doing.” – Sophia Amoruso
11. “That’s the spirit of Nasty Gal: We want you to dress for yourself, and know that it’s not shallow to put effort into how you look. I’m telling you that you don’t have to choose between smart and sexy. You can have both. You are both.” – Sophia Amoruso
12. “Naturally, every boyfriend comes with an ex-girlfriend, every business comes with competitors, but it is entirely up to you to decide how much time you spend thinking about them.” – Sophia Amoruso
13. “It’s the age-old concept of like attracts like, or the law of attraction. You get back what you put out, so you might as well think positively, focus on visualizing what you want instead of getting distracted by what you don’t want, and send the universe your good intentions so that it can send them right back.” – Sophia Amoruso
14. “Your challenge as a #GIRLBOSS is to dive headfirst into things without being too attached to the results.” – Sophia Amoruso
15. “I believe that there is a silver lining in everything, and once you begin to see it, you’ll need sunglasses to combat the glare.” – Sophia Amoruso
16. “Surround yourself with people who are engaged, honest, and confident enough on their own quest to support you on yours. There is no time for losers.” – Sophia Amoruso
17. “You can’t act like you’ve arrived when you’re only just receiving the invitation.” Sophia Amoruso
18. “As hard as it is, stop caring so much about what other people think. Find a way to hear what you want. Recognize what is your dream. And then put everything you have into that: your work, the relationships you surround yourself with, the food you put in your body. Everything you have control over in your world should feed that dream and make you feel like a #GIRLBOSS!” – Sophia Amoruso
19. “When You believe in yourself other people will believe in you too.” – Sophia Amoruso
20. “If you believe what you are doing will have positive results, it will even if it’s not immediately obvious.” – Sophia Amoruso
21. “It takes a special kind of stubbornness to succeed as an entrepreneur.” – Sophia Amoruso”
22. “When you begin with the finish line in mind, you miss all the fun stuff along the way. The better approach is ti tweak & grow.” – Sophia Amoruso
23. “There are secret opportunities hidden in every failure.” – Sophia Amoruso
24. “True success lies in knowing your weekness and playing to your strength.” – Sophia Amoruso
25. “You create the world blink by blink. It is entirely yours to discover and yours to create.” – Sophia Amoruso